Statement on COVID-19 - Update
March 15, 2020
McInnis & Holloway offers services and support that are essential to many individuals. We will continue to serve our community in these complicated times. By monitoring the situation closely and taking immediate action when needed, we are doing what we can to ensure the health and well-being of our staff, our community and families we are honoured to serve. While the risk remains low in Alberta, we are taking this situation seriously. Here are the steps we are taking to ensure the health and safety at McInnis & Holloway.
McInnis & Holloway’s Commitment to our Community
McInnis & Holloway’s six Calgary locations and our Airdrie and Cochrane locations will remain open with extended operating hours to best accommodate families needs.
An Emergency preparedness plan is in place that includes caring for all Calgarians during these unprecedented times.
A stand alone facility outside of McInnis & Holloway’s eight locations has been identified to handle all COVID-19 deceased if required.
McInnis & Holloway will continue to be proactive in accordance with our pandemic planning and guidance from various agencies including Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw.
As with any virus or respiratory illness, good hygiene practices such as frequent handwashing, covering coughs and sneezes, and staying at home and away from others when you are feeling ill is crucial in reducing the spread of illness. We encourage everyone to review the Government of Alberta website regarding COVID-19 for further information on prevention at https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx
Caring for those that have questions about an expected passing or assisting families that have experienced a death.
Arranging & Scheduling Funerals - what we are doing
- Appointment times for arranging funerals are offered to families in person, via telephone or by video call.
- Elderly and Immune compromised families
- Offered appointments at 9am (the quietest time with the least amount of people in the funeral home)
- Feeling ill, or live with someone who may be
- Please call prior to visiting the funeral home
- Signage has been put up reminding everyone of this.
- IQair filters using hyperHEPA filters with virus and bacterial removal efficiency greater than 99.5% are assisting to keep our buildings safe
- Vigilant continual disinfecting of all high-touch surfaces within the funeral home
In consultation with various agencies and carefully considering Dr. Hinshaw’s announcements, McInnis & Holloway wants to reassure families that we are continuing to provide the opportunity to gather and remember a loved one and proceed with funeral services, this is an important step in the healing process.
Funerals Services, Celebrations of Life and Funeral Receptions - what we are doing
- Funerals are continuing to take place - visit the obituary for up to date information
- Social Distancing is being encouraged
- Seating has been spaced out
- Receptions will proceed with food exclusively from health department licensed kitchens
- Food with be individually served by McInnis & Holloway hostesses
- Signage regarding sharing condolences and provide your support but limiting your physical contact when with the family has been put up.
- Shared books, hymnals, have been replaced by digital projections
- Additional hand sanitizer stations at all funerals
- Memorial Books are accompanied by sanitized pens and cleaning wipes
- Online streaming available to all families (without cost)
- Attendees who are Feeling ill, or live with someone who may be are asked to view services online vs attending
- AHS exterior signage has been put out to remind those ill to avoid visiting.
- Limiting attendees to close family and friends (less than 250 people)
- Online streaming available for others to view
- Online guest book messages are encouraged to show support
- Video condolences are being accepted to be put together for the family, at no additional cost.
Things are changing on a daily basis, and we will provide you with up to date information as it becomes available. Please keep in mind that our recommendations and policies around COVID-19 safety will continue to evolve as the situation changes locally.
McInnis & Holloway Funeral Homes
March 12, 2020 Statement